BSMO junior members and researchers are invited to submit an abstract for presentation at the live 26th BSMO Annual Meeting 2024 in Mons on 2 and 3 February 2024. Abstracts on any topic are welcome. Challenging and educational oncocase reports which relate to new therapies will also be considered.
NEW! A Trial in Progress (TiP) category has been added to the online abstract submission.
- The deadline for abstract submission is 8 January 2024
- Notifications will be sent in the week of 22 January 2024
For questions regarding abstract submissions, please contact Mrs Mieke Akkers by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Before submitting an abstract, carefully read the guidelines below.
Abstract policy and regulations
With the submission of an abstract to the 26th BSMO Annual Meeting 2024, the presenting author:
– cannot be first (=presenting) author of more than one abstract;
– accepts responsibility for the accuracy of the submitted abstract (please proofread the abstract carefully prior to submission!);
– must be working in a Belgian institute
– accepts to be the contact person for all correspondence about the abstract and inform co-authors about its status;
– confirms that all co-authors are aware of and agree to the content of the abstract and support the data presented;
– states that for studies involving human or animal subjects, permission has been obtained from the relevant regulatory authority and properly informed consent obtained where appropriate;
– discloses any potential conflicts of interest or support that might cause a bias in the presentation;
– releases the copyright to the organisers and gives permission for the abstract, when selected for presentation, to be published in the special editorial supplement of the BSMO official journal BJMO (Belgian Journal of Medical Oncology). If copyright is not granted, the abstract will not be accepted for the meeting.
Trial in Progress (TiP) is for abstracts in all phases of clinical research (phases I to III). It is expected that abstracts submitted as TiP are ongoing trials open in Belgium that have not reached any protocol-specified endpoints for analysis and consequently will only require the completion of 2 sections:
– Trial design
- Recruitment must have already begun or have been completed by the abstract submission deadline
- Abstracts including results or preliminary data will be rejected
- Trial in Progress abstracts can be accepted for Poster presentation only and will not be part of the Best Poster Award voting
- Encore TiP abstracts will not be accepted
Abstracts will be reviewed by the BSMO scientific committee and considered on the merits of the scientific and clinical rationale of the trial.
– The title of the abstract should be brief, specific, informative and objectively describe the study.
– The body of the abstract can be max. 2000 characters (spaces included).
– The presenting author is the first author in the abstract.
– The abstract should be structured in such a way as to include the following sections:
– A TiP abstract will only require the completion of 2 sections:
- Trial design
– The abstract must be submitted and presented at the meeting in English.
During the abstract submission authors should select the presentation preference:
- oral presentation in a proffered paper session
- oral presentation of an oncocase
- poster presentation
- poster presentation Trial in Progress
Oral presentation: Abstracts selected for oral presentation are presented at the proffered paper session scheduled in the programme. Oral presentations should last no longer than 7 minutes with 3 further minutes for questions from the audience.
Oncocase: From the oncocase abstracts the 2 best cases will be selected for oral presentation and scheduled in the programme. Oral presentations should last no longer than 7 minutes with 3 further minutes for questions from the audience.
Poster presentation & Poster presentation TiP: You are requested to prepare your printed poster and to bring it to Mons – further instructions will be included in the notification letter
Abstracts must be submitted on-line, through the meeting website: https://www.bsmo.be
Abstracts sent by e-mail will NOT be accepted.
The first (presenting) author’s name and e-mail address details are crucial for future correspondence.
Once the abstract is submitted, changes, corrections or rewording are not possible. Careful typing and proof-reading are essential as the abstract will not be edited or corrected by the organiser and will appear, if accepted, as submitted.
Submitting an abstract for presentation at the 26th BSMO Annual Meeting 2024 does not constitute registration for the meeting. Abstract presenters must register to attend the 26th BSMO Annual Meeting 2024 by following the instructions for registration on the website.
If the first author is unable to present, he or she must immediately inform the Meeting office (e-mail: email@example.com) in writing which of the co-authors will be responsible for presentation. Only as a last resort the first author should send a written withdrawal to the Meeting office before January 29, 2024.
Abstract selection process
Abstracts submitted for presentation will be reviewed by the BSMO board and will be judged solely on the data submitted. Author identities are concealed from the reviewers throughout the review process.
The presenting (=first) author will receive an e-mail with the result of the review in the week of 22 January 2024.